Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cranberry Almond Biscotti

I have a slight problem obsession passion when it comes to tea. Hot, iced, or fermented, I like tea of all sorts and can easily drink 3-5 mugs in a day. And once in a while a good cup of tea needs a cookie made for dunking.


Biscotti aren't a cookie I had much exposure to growing up, but I know they're made for dipping. When I saw Arman's post a few weeks back I was excited to try it out... except I like my cookies with fruit (makes them healthier, right?). Keeping the inspiration of his nutty cookies, I got to experimenting in the kitchen myself. 

The result is a hearty, crispy, cookie bursting with nutty almond flavor and chewy cranberries. These have a high ratio of fruit to cookie, so feel free to cut back on the fruit or (for shame) leave it out entirely to suit your tastes. 


Cranberry Almond Biscotti 
Makes 15 

Hands on time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes

Ingredients 
1 cup GF flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350*. In a food processor (or stand mixer or a large bowl) cream butter and sugar together. Add in egg, vanilla, and almond extract and mix to combine. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in thirds making sure to incorporate each third before adding more. Fold in almonds and dried cranberries. 

Remove dough from bowl and form into a single log on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes and then remove from oven. Allow cookies to cool enough to handle and slice into individual pieces. Return cookies to the oven for 5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 5 minutes as well until cookies are lightly browned on all sides. 

Serve warm or cooled. You can store extras in an airtight container for about 1 week. 



Although I think these are perfect with a cup of tea on a snowy day (like we're supposed to get here again!) they're are soft enough that you can enjoy them on their own without breaking a tooth. And if you decide to go and dip them in coffee... well it can be our little secret ;)

9 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite in terms of being exposed as a kid- biscottis are my gramma's specialty ;). So def pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love biscotti so I'd eat them anyway...but remove the fruit! I LOVE how you used GF flour because many asked if it was possible- sending them your way :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally possible and delicious (fruit and all)!

      Delete
  3. So cleaning out my house for the move I discovered I own over 50 teas! Craziness...and clearly I have a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's more than me! I'll be happy to take any extras off your hands ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha. As soon as I saw that you had fruit in your biscotti I scrolled down to see if Arman commented. The big man does not like fruit in his biscotti. ;)

    Loving that last picture set up. Sounds great with tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and I agree on a lot of things... but dried fruit is not one of them :)

      Delete
  5. Amen to the fruit sister. Gotta love it, well except I'm not a huge fan of dried fruit, with the exception of cranberries. Which means I love this!! Way to get your dunk on!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?