Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The perfect cup of tea

It's no secret that I have a bit of a thing for tea.  I've grown to love it in its tangy kombucha form, but a cozy mug of green or ginger tea is still my favorite way to indulge. Not that tea is an indulgence by any means (all you have to do is boil water) but if made right a cup of tea really can make you feel that way. 


You have to start with water of course. A boiling kettle is one of my favorite sounds and it can pull me running from anywhere in the house (I've been known to start the kettle and then walk away to do something else...). But a mug heated in the microwave or even really hot tap water will work in a pinch. Sun tea is great too but it's too cold for that in Chicago in February. 

Then of course there's the tea. Loose leaf is fancy, it requires a bit more work to steep and strain the leaves, but you're worth the extra effort. And if you don't have the time thats why teabags were invented ;) I get tea for Birthdays/Christmas at about the same rate I get candles (which is a lot!) but that doesn't stop me from picking up a new box almost every time I go to the store. Variety is the spice of life after all. 


1. Green and white blend (low caffeine) 2. Raspberry Mint (herbal)
3. Ginger (herbal and addictive) 4. Mango Ceylon (black tea)
5. Peppermint (herbal) 6. Super green tea (with a little kick)

After that all that's left to do is relax and enjoy. I take my tea to go in the mornings, and chug it like it's my job at school, but afternoon tea will always be my favorite. I put on a full kettle as soon as I get home each afternoon. By the time I've had a quick workout the water has boiled. I can then take my mug to the couch as I sit and catch up on blogs (which is like catching up with dear friends) or I can sip on it as my dad and I cook dinner and I catch him up on my life.



This weekend I used my time to catch up on cookbooks

I challenge you to take some time for yourself with a cup of tea this afternoon. Take the 15-20 minutes to relax, chat, or reflect. Trust me you won't regret it. 

7 comments:

  1. Yesterday my bf wanted some tea and I jokingly told him we were out of it. He legit started laughing immediately because we have over 50 teas in the house...kind of ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you have a collection to rival mine ;)

      Delete
  2. I need to start drinking more tea- I do have one before I sleep but I'm not sure if it relaxes me or not- It's the celestial seasonings sleepytime one haha.

    If you promise they relax me in the afternoons? I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for drinking that one, Chamomile is the one tea I cannot stand.
      Tea is definitely the way to go for me in the afternoon though... can't make any promises but it certainly won't hurt ;)

      Delete
  3. My girlfriend just gave me some super fancy green and passion fruit tea. Both are loose leaf and I'm looking forward to trying them.
    I like picturing you with your afternoon cup of tea. Oh and I mean that in a non-creepy way of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT PICTURE IS TOO CUTE AND NOW I NEED TEA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tea! I finally get what the brits mean. Tea is great. Your pictures are so adorable x

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?